Monday, June 22, 2009

State cash grab, or hoax?

There's an e-mail circulating this week, claiming that Illinois on July 1 will start using cameras in construction zones and issuing $375 fines if you're even 1 mph over the posted limit. A second offense, the e-mail says, costs $1,000 and a 90-day license suspension.

All of which could be believable, given Illinois' financial straits. But it's fishy. But, the DOT links given in the e-mail are dead, and I haven't been able to verify this anywhere. Whether it's true or not, it would make a good story, because a lot of people are getting this e-mail. Here's a Web link to its content.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I received the email just now and that is how I found your site as I was investigating. The link you provided has a date of 2005, so evidently it has been going on a long time? So far I haven't found anything else.