Thursday, May 21, 2009

Your future, part 2

Continued from previous post ...



In the earlier portion of her NINA talk, NIU Business Dean Schoenbachler recommended reading the book, “Strengths Finder,” by Tom Rath, as a step toward knowing and presenting yourself well.

The book helps you map your career. Learn your strengths, then develop a plan to build, grow and develop them, rather than spending so much time addressing weaknesses. Schoenbachler recommended asking yourself questions like:
  • What are my strengths?
  • What are my passions? How do I implement those passions?
  • What are my hobbies?
  • What organizations am I a part of?
  • What relevant experience do I have?
  • What is my story? Can I tell a compelling story about myself?
  • What do I hate about my day?
  • What is my unique selling proposition? How/why am I different?
  • What is my value proposition – what I bring to my market or my job?

No comments: